Thursday, January 24, 2013

Angelina's

Angelina's
1565 Broadway
www.angelinadetroit.com


   Angelina's has quickly become one of my absolute favorite Italian restaurants in Detroit, it definitely ranks in the top 3. I've been to Angelina's on 3 different occasions (however, still have no pictures!) and every time I go, I have a better and better experience. 

   Sitting within walking distance of Comerica Park, the Fox theater, Ford Field and the Opera house, Angelina's draws quite the mix of crowds but has the wonderful charm of accommodating everyone. I've been to Angelina's on a first/last date, for an evening out with my parents, and as a place to wind down after a night out with friends that I really didn't want to end with me "accidentally" eating a full order of French toast at midnight, and felt like I fit in here on every occasion. 

   The place is a pretty good size. The front has nearly floor to ceiling windows which they open in the summer providing the place with an awesome "summer in the city" feel. They have a pretty sizable bar with the drink selection to match. The whole place has a warm feeling to it without being antique-y or tacky. 

   The food and wine selection covers all bases, nothing too stand out, but a few items to take note of. Standard items on the menu include your usual such as shrimp risotto or margarita pizza, but nestled in you'll also find rarer items such as squid ink pasta with scallops, or Wild Mushroom Mac n' Cheese. On my most recent trip to Angelina's I opted for their calamari and 2008 Napa Cellars. I was expecting calamari like I've always had before, fried crispy rings of almost nothingness. Why I continue to order these? I'm not quite sure... I was quite surprised with I received gigantic, thick, almost onion ring like calamari with a honey sauce. Without any hesitation, I can say by far the best I've ever eaten. I could actually see the meat! Not just the little fried bits of nothing I have had so many other places.

   Only down side to Angelina's is parking. As with any major city, places like this are iffy on parking lots. They have valet for $10-20 depending on the time and day, but for college students like me, I say find a place on the street a few blocks away and park for free. Take the longer route to the restaurant and see what you find along the way. Maybe it will be something even better. Love yourself, love your city.

PEACE.LOVE.DETROIT.
-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment